[tlug] Wonky Vid in *buntu

PROBLEM:

I am attempting to test a number of live CDs, burned from D/L'ed .iso's to see whether there might be a better version of *buntu / Debian-based OS to use in a specific machine for a specific purpose only.

When I attempt to run any of these CDs, I can view the start screen but, after selecting the "Run live without installing" option, never see more than a flashing cursor in the upper LH corner of the screen, even though it appears as though the OS is installed to memory. I suspect a video <-> display issue but thought I'd ask whether an alternative load instruction might work before doing anything Truly Stupid and wrecking something that works, even if it does not work satisfactorily. There is also that Time Waste Factor to consider.

I have Googled extensively and left questions on the *buntu fora but either am not seeing a problem anyone else is interested in or may just be giving evidence of thinking too much.

BACKGROUND:

My torrent box -- Xubuntu 12.04 amd-64-desktop on an AMD 2-core CPU / 8Gb memory / Nvidia video + 1Gb of vid ram / several (many) Tb of in-box and USB-connected storage -- was running strangely during the most recent *buntu broken packages incident and would only upload intermittently.

- This led me to D/L live images of a number of "interesting" *buntu variants as well as the most recent Debian.

- I have a Blu-ray player but, being the cheapass that I am, do not buy the Blu-ray versions of any movies. The two aging LG multiplatform burner / players are both IDE and have been acting up, lately. I decided to replace one with a SATA unit.

- The box is connected to a television via a DVI -> HDMI converter cable that works extremely well for playback and torrent instruction giving, when my wife is not watching the latest 15-minute morning drama on NHK.

- In addition to the flashing cursor, the entire screen background appears to flash between two values of dark gray and almost black opposite the cursor (e.g. - when the cursor is white, the background is darkest and when the cursor is black, the screen is slightly lighter).