Re: [tlug] Making better use of SSDs?

> And you end up wondering which to put on the SSD.  The sequences would
> be my first choice, but the data is nowadays in the terabyte range.
> Even if there was an SSD that was this big, you're just going to make
> 23 passes over it in sequential order, it may not be worth putting it
> on the SSD.

The input fastq files maybe of the order of 1Tb, however it's worth trying to get your data into a more efficient format as soon as possible. Either by using compressed fastq files, or BAM files. Many modern aligners can accept these formats.

It might also be worth posting on SEQAnswers, someone may have tried using SSDs for your application.

All in all though, I think the benefit will be minimal. As you say, it's all sequential access.