Re: [tlug] [OT] plonk [Re: Classes]

On 05/28/2012 09:05 AM, Chris Worthington wrote:
I may have the exact wording wrong,
but it gives you the option to install only what's necessary, leaving
out the extra recommended stuff.

That does sound cool, although I hate compiling from code. At least 10 years
ago I tried compiling a number of packages from source but most things
wouldn't compile because the author would conveniently neglect to mention a
library or some other prerequisite file that I didn't have on my system. I
imagine, though, installing Gentoo is more streamlined, though.

You can pretty much[1] compile anything through the package manager, so in that respect its not much different from a binary distribution.

Edward

1. obviously you have to do some work to build packages that are not supported by the distribution.