Re: [tlug] [OT] plonk [Re: Classes]

>Mint is good because most things Just Work(TM), codecs are installed and
so on.

I don't mind installing codecs on Ubuntu, but it will be nice to have them
preinstalled.

>I think that what people like about Gentoo is that you have almost
complete control of what you install.  It takes more work than
installing most other distributions, but you are able to avoid a great
deal of bloat.
>I may have the exact wording wrong,
but it gives you the option to install only what's necessary, leaving
out the extra recommended stuff.

That does sound cool, although I hate compiling from code. At least 10 years
ago I tried compiling a number of packages from source but most things
wouldn't compile because the author would conveniently neglect to mention a
library or some other prerequisite file that I didn't have on my system. I
imagine, though, installing Gentoo is more streamlined, though.

>Also, if you don't really like working from the command
line, it might not be a good choice.

I like working from the command line; I prefer it. As long as packages
actually compile, it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the input.