Re: [tlug] Making better use of SSDs?: Beware of Heavy Write Usage

>> Writes wear out SSDs.

>I think this is one of those bits of conventional wisdom which used to be
true
when the technology was first being introduced, but now isn't so much.

>The interesting question is not whether or not writes wear out SSDs (sure,
yes, they do) but whether or not they wear out SSDs at a faster rate than
traditional HDDs would wear out due to mechanical faults.

I've never owned an SSD, so I have to ask:
Do they wear out before you'd upgrade them? For example, would they wear out
before 3-4 years with normal use?

The reason why I ask is that if they wear out after 4 years and you upgrade
in 3 1/2, does it make a difference? I usually upgrade/ditch hard drives
after about 3 years, which I think is probably slower than most people.

I think this is one of those bits of conventional wisdom which used to be
true
when the technology was first being introduced, but now isn't so much.

The interesting question is not whether or not writes wear out SSDs (sure,
yes, they do) but whether or not they wear out SSDs at a faster rate than
traditional HDDs would wear out due to mechanical faults.

The first hit on Google today for "SSD lifespan" leads me to:
http://maxschireson.com/2011/04/21/debunking-ssd-lifespan-and-random-write-p
erformance-concerns/