Re: [tlug] HP Envy 15 first impressions

> drive.  The next order of business will be to boot Windows, create
> recovery media, then DD it off to a USB disk to later be slurped into
> VirtualBox, and repartition for upgrade to Linux.

Does that work? I thought modern Windows tied themselves to the
hardware, and running under it as a virtual machine would count as
different hardware.

I think I've only booted into Windows twice, on this notebook, in the
last 18 months. Once just after it was new, and once when wanting to do
some CPU timings. It has ended up easier to rely on wine, a virtual
windows machine in the cloud, or booting up an old Windows XP machine,
in that order.

Darren