Re: [tlug] Gazing up and to the left: LXDE and Covering Border in Others

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:49:53AM -0500, jep200404@example.com wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:05:51 +0900, Charles Muller <cmuller-lst@example.com> wrote:
>
> > ... I'd like to figure out how to apply a
> > permanent settings to start (to begin with) Firefox and Thunderbird
> > in the middle of the screen on a permanent basis. Emacs is already
> > no problem.
>
> If I recall correctly, LXDE is condemned by many for putting
> all new windows in the middle of the screen (on top of each
> other).

Well, that's probably its default.  Easily fixed (I would think) by
editing the rc.xml file--I forget if the name and location change
slightly with lxde vs. openbox.  (Or, you can even use fluxbox, as
opposd to openbox, for the window manager, though in the last few years,
I find myself preferring openbox.)

Something like
application name="gbuffy">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <layer>above</layer>
      <desktop>all</desktop>
    </application>

I have a page that goes into a bit more detail on openbox at
http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/fluxopen.html

Fluxbox is similar, in its case it uses ~/.fluxbox/apps to designate
position.

I think someone else already posted how to do it in KDE--I would think
(not sure) that most window managers enable you to set a position for an
app--not sure about desktop environments--the way it seems these days, most
DE developers seem to feel their users would prefer having less choice.

> A thoroughly disgusting workaround hack, is to cover the screen
> with other windows, except for the middle of the screen.
> I.e., leave the middle of the screen bare. Many window managers
> will try to put new windows on a bare spot. Works in XFCE with
> Firefox.

I just tested this--seems to be the same in openbox, which is the WM for
LXDE.

Anyway, I'm digressing.

BTW, someone seemed to take the first part of Chuck's post seriously--as
English isn't necessarily the first language of many people here, his
story about goin to the doctor was simply a light hearted bit, not meant
to be taken as what actually happened.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6