[tlug] Gazing up and to the left

I was noticing during the past few months that I was developing a tendency to gaze up and to left wherever I was--at home--in the street, in the bar, whatever. I was even walking behind a pretty girl the other day, and instead of looking at her, I found myself gazing up and to the left.

So I went to my eye doctor, and he said (translating from the original Japanese, of course):

"I guess you are a Linux user who has recently changed all of his screens to '24, and all of your X applications are starting up in the upper left hand corner of the screen."

Amazed at this, I asked the good doctor what could be done to remedy the situation.

He said "man X".

I followed the Sensei's recommendation, and finding something about --geometry, was able to succeed in starting some (but not all) X apps up in other places than the upper left corner on a case-by-case basis. But the Sensei can't help me any further than this. And while there were examples on the web, nothing that goes beyond the man page.

All seriousness aside, I'd like to figure out how to apply a permanent settings to start (to begin with) Firefox and Thunderbird in the middle of the screen on a permanent basis. Emacs is already no problem.

Has anyone else tried to deal with this?

Chuck

-------------------

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office: 03-5841-3735