Re: [tlug] Japanese input on Debian Testing

Hi all,

On 2011-11-16 05:28, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
I've been running Debian Testing for a number of years, the last 4 or 5
of which i've had Japanese input configured via UIM and Anthy.
At the time i set up Japanese input, UIM/Anthy seemed to be the most
modern and "correct" way to do it, with SCIM slowly fading away. Now
IBus seems to be the most accepted way to do it; would it be worth
trying to rip out my Japanese input system and rebuild it around IBus?

I've been like you, Daniel, for as long as I've had Debian and Japanese on my system [5+ years]. I could only enter Japanese on icedove/iceweasel and just accepted that I can't enter Japanese anywhere else. Perhaps all those years of Windows has made me accept that some things just aren't possible. ;-)

The recent threads and your message in particular made me look into ibus. And sure enough, it just "worked" on my Debian stable system. And it only took a few minutes. I've now removed UIM/Anthy and it's still working... :-P

At least on my stable system, "ripping out" wasn't required -- it was far less painless. i.e.,

http://kenno.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/enable-japanese-input-on-debianubuntu/

Good luck!

Ray

PS: I've been down the "LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8"-path before. That was a fun afternoon... ;-)