Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

Josh,

> How did you start a Gnome Classic session? I thought this wasn't
> possible in 11.10, and couldn't find it myself.

You might have to install the package called...
um...gnome-session-fallback, I think. I can't remember if you get it
automatically when you install the Gnome3 shell.

Assuming you have that package installed, then you should be able to
click on the gear just to the upper right of where you enter your
password when you log in. On my system, my name is automatically
selected, as I'm the only user, so I can't verify if what Steve says
is true that you need to select a user first (probably true though).
Make sure to select Gnome Classic and not Gnome Classic (No Effect).
Unless, of course, you don't want Compiz effects.

Once in, you may need to make some edits to make it approximate the
Gnome 2 shell. I'm putting together a blog post with full
instructions, so I'll let you know when I do that.

--
Dave M G