Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

Martin G writes:

 > But Mint isdefinitely a possibility, as I would get to keep what is
 > essentially Ubuntu underneath. I just wonder about the long term.

Why wonder?  Debian and Red Hat have been around for almost two
decades now.  Centos and Unbuntu a bit less than half that.  Sure,
many one-developer distros do fail, but Mint has been around long
enough that it will probably do OK for quite a while.  And if not, you
can (fairly) easily go back to Ubuntu or forward to the Ubuntu
knockoff du jour.

 > But if I felt that I could get a decent UI with, say, Arch
 > Linux or Gentoo or whatever,

In particular, I don't recommend those for you.  At the very least,
keep them far away from your work workstation and your myth-whatever
box until you're used to them.  They are user-empowering, but not
user-friendly.  I've had Gentoo go essentially useless for many hours
because of a borked X11 or SSH upgrade.