Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On Oct 18, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Martin G wrote:

> We still use a mouse and keyboard to interact with a
> flat 2D interface.

A huge lot of people use their fingers. 4 more millions in 2 days since the launch of the iPhone 4S. If you believe Apple's numbers and include the "others", that's about 200 millions who use their fingers to interface with a computing device. And it is not stopping.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my mouse to go for the Apple finger based pointing device:

http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/

Check Metro (Windows 8), that is also aiming at something that does not involve the mouse and kb so much.

> The real changes in interfaces will come on that day when we can speak
> naturally to computers,

That started with Siri, and here again, 4 millions since last weekend.

Things are changing at a tremendous pace. No need to get too excited about it, but you need to be aware of that.

> I have looked around the net, and the hatred for Unity and
> Gnome3-shell is pretty significant.

I heard that before :) When people make tough decisions, that usually triggers a lot of reactionary responses :) Time will tell.

> I bet if someone went in the direction of a new Gnome2-shell, it would soon become a defacto
> standard.

I wouldn't bet on that.

Jean-Christophe Helary
fun: http://mac4translators.blogspot.com