Re: [tlug] Bitsa Woes: Reply and SOLUTION

On 09/26/2011 11:55 PM, jep200404@example.com wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:57:03 -0400, jep200404@example.com wrote:

The original fan was removed. The new fan was attached with
screws that bit into the heat sink fins. You can see the
circular hole where the old fan used to be.

Just out of curiosity, did you use a reamer to cut and chase the threads or self-tapping screws? I'd be a bit concerned about metallic swarf in an electrical environment almost as much as I'd be concerned about having left over cutting oil on fins I could not easily wipe with a shop rag.

This makes the board too wide for a board to be in the adjacent slot.

The saga has ended. Sadly, no Really Kewl things were done to amuse and fascinate the audience.

I was wandering the aisles of PC Depot, Kamisu-ten, looking for a few odd (cheap) parts to add to the pile of things that I was going to build a cooling solution out of when I discovered a Zallman GPU fan (lots of heat pipes and radial fins, all in shiny copper which appeals to the magpie in me). It just replaces the on-card fan and shroud and uses the four mounting holes already drilled. The box claimed a max noise level of 18dB. But, it didn't indicate whether the heatsink also had to be removed so I asked the Knowledgeable Staff Person (they have one of them among the box stackers -- thankfully he was not on interminable break) if he could open the display case to let me see how the heatsink was attached to my card. In the course of our conversation, he repeatedly assured me that there was absolutely no way that you could remove the GPU fan from an existing card and replace it. I resisted the urge to correct him to his face as he's been correct on other stuff and authorizes discounts on purchases, sometimes. But, he assured me, if I had the sales receipt for my noisy card, PC Depot would take it back, he'd waive the ten day limit on returns of new parts, and authorize a 50% discount on the price difference between that card and any other Nvidia 550GTX-Ti card in stock.

So ... I returned the roaring Kuroto Shikou (Sparkle Electronics) card, replaced it with an MSI-built card that had a fan with large radial fins and heat pipes and a high velocity fan with a speed limiter of 1800 rpm. And it is completely silent.

I am happy that my room is once again a haven of solitude but now feel somewhat cheated out of getting to participate in a great solution-finding adventure (*sigh*).

--
CL