[tlug] Language localization in Javacript

TLUG,

This is probably a basic concept I'm not getting, but I'm a little
lost on how to enable localization in my Javascript code.

I can easily set up different objects containing different language
strings. Something like:

var english = new Object ();
english.l00001 = "hello";
english.l00002 = "goodbye";
var japanese = new Object ()
japanese.l00001 = "今日は";
japanese.l00002 = "サヨナラ";

(I put an "l" in front of each number because Javascript doesn't seem
to like variable names that are just numbers.)

... but I just can't think of how I switch them up at the point when I
want to display one or the other, because the switch involves changing
the name of the variable being called.

There must be a simple way to do this...?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G