Re: [tlug] Bitsa Woes: Quieter Cooling Alternatives

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:04:17 +0900, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2011 10:56 AM, jep200404@example.com wrote:

> > How much money and time are you willing to spend?
>
> The money I already spent was _supposed_ to be the solution.

Ahh, so you have copious spare time to spend on this. :-)

> > There are quieter ways of cooling your board.
>
> And, short of spending the price of another board, what might some of
> these be?

> > How tolerant are you of ugly but functional improvisations?
>
> What are you offering?  What can't be seen doesn't offend.  If you have
> some ideas, let's take a look.

If you have room beside your video board, try using a bigger,
slower fan. Try using a bigger heat sink[1]. Try them together.
Those can accomplish the same cooling as your noisy fans.
Unfortunately, many video boards have another board beside
them so there is no more room for a bigger heat sink and
bigger fan.

I have done some of this. I get used computers.
Video board fans are fast, tiny, noisy, and usually of poor
quality, so they quit working, usually due to loss of
lubrication. I can usually relubricate other computer fans,
but my success rate with relubing video board fans is poor.
So I _add_ a fan, usually a bigger slower fan. The mechanical
mounting is the hard part. Usually, I wing it with sloppy hacks
such as:

o using screws that bite into the fins of the heat sink
  or drilling holes for screws into a plate that covers
  the heat sink

o using tywraps to hold the fan to something

    E.g. http://colug.net/~jep/images/tywrapped-fan/

o using dental floss to tie the fan to something

Sometimes the fan is not even mounted to the video board,
but is mounted to something else nearby. The improvised
bigger, slower fan is quieter than the original fan.

Rubber mounts for fans will reduce case vibration.

One can also use ducting to put the fan somewhere else.
You can make ducting out of various materials, such as
cardboard and plastic packaging. Vacuum cleaners are noisy.
Some people put the noisy blower in the basement with
plumbing to vacuum outlets in the rooms. The rushing air
still makes noise, but much less than the blower. You
can make a milder version of that for your computer.

Water cooling can allow to eliminate the noisy fans from
inside the computer. With a big enough exterior heat sink,
you will not need exterior fans either. A cooling tower
above the external radiator will silently help the air flow.

Heat pipes are another way of getting the heat from your
board to a better radiator/heat sink outside the box,
or a better place inside the box. Unfortunately, fabrication
of heat pipes is not something you can do yourself.

Big squirrel cage fans are the quietest, but usually need
ducting.

Avoid having things close to the leading edges of fan blades.
Things close to the leading edges make more noise than
things close to the trailing edges.

Search for site:linuxjournal.com ultimate computer cooling
E.g. http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8292
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8318

Use your imagination. _Try_ stuff.

[1] Bob Pease[2] would recommend using a cylinder head from an
    air-cooled motor[3].
    https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=bob%20pease%20cylinder%20head%20heat%20sink
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Special:BookSources/9780750694995
[2] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bob_Pease