Re: [tlug] Possibility to recover a hard disk by swapping control board

Because it is hard to image a disk failing (frying)
as a result of inadequate power supply, it would be
interesting to research the drive case and drive on
the Internet if you could provide maker and
model no. for both case and drive. There may well
be a history of problems.

Modern 2.5" drives draw only about 1.5W during R/W.
USB 2.0 is supposed to provide up to 500mA of current;
500mA @ 5V is only 2.5W -- hardly enough for the drive
to go up in flames.

Maybe the two most likely failure mechanisms are :
(1) incompetent designers -- maybe connecting only
one USB connector can result in reverse voltage
being applied to a component, which then fails.
(2) because of excess current/low voltage,
drive motor fails to start.  Stalled drive
motor draws high current which toasts the motor.
Hard to imagine that only 2.5W could toast the
motor -- but maybe the motor is fused on the
drive or on the controller board to protect
against this eventuality?  If that's the case,
then replacing the fuse would be enough to fix
the problem.

< historical aside >
The first 3.5" plated-media drives to appear
in Hong Kong were 100MB Seagates.  They had
stiction problems:  the head was parked on
the platter, and could stick to it, preventing
the motor from starting.  If you didn't notice
this soon after turning on the power, the
motor would be fried. I know somebody who
purchased a Seagate in HK, then had it fail
two weeks later from stiction. He flew back
to HK (from Japan) to have it replaced under
maker warranty -- and the replacement also
failed within two weeks. I believe that
soon after this Seagate was having trouble
selling drives, so a scheme to ship bricks
in hard drive boxes was concocted, to make
it look to investors as if shipments were
continuing as usual. I believe that some
directors were fired when this was found
out. Unfortunately I can't find this story
on the web any more.