Re: [tlug] Possibility to recover a hard disk by swapping control board: USB Power Limits (Especially on Laptops)

Hi,

>> If it is not recoverable via software, should I try to but a
>> new disk just like this one and swap the controller boards?

No, unless you have specialized data recovery hardware+software
(usually mens PC-3000, but there are others). Part of the drive
firmware is written on the platters, part of it is on the controller
board. Every controller board is tuned to the platters/heads after
assembly and specific physical parameters are set on the controller
(no, you cannot do that with a normal SATA controller, you need
specialized hardware).

Would you attempt brain transplant from a living human to a dead one
just to see if it works? I know it is extreme example, but changing
controllers nowadays is not like changing a light bulb (it used to be
when drives were 2GB).

I thought you said you don't need the data, right? If you do, I can
introduce you to a colleague who does data recovery, but prices start
at 50,000yen (initial diagnostics is free).

Cheers,
Kalin.