[tlug] Possibility to recover a hard disk by swapping control board

Hello Tluggers,

I have a 2.5" SATA hard disk that I setup with an external usb drive case.
The case is a bit odd in that it requires 2 usb connections, probably for power.
For the most part this has worked.

Unfortunately, I recently forgot to connect 1 of usb cables.
When I tried to mount it I heard an odd noise and then after that I could not
mount the disk.  Once I realized what I did, I connected the second usb cable, but it
would not mount.

I then tried to mount the disk by replacing the hard disk in my laptop with it.
Cutting out the usb middle man.
Alas, it still would not mount or be recognized by the system.
So I figure I have fried something on the disk.

I have backups of all the data, so recovery of the disk is not critical.
But I was thinking would it be possible to buy a similar hard disk and swap the
controller board (or what ever you call it) and see if it would mount then?

If that could possibly mount the disk that might be worth a 6000 yen experiment, but if the chances of
that fixing the issue are rare then I would skip that route.

Thanks for any advice

Zev