Re: [tlug] Possibility to recover a hard disk by swapping control board

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:51:54 +0900, Zev <zev@example.com> wrote:

> I have a 2.5" SATA hard disk that I setup with an external usb drive case.
> The case is a bit odd in that it requires 2 usb connections, probably for power.

That is very common. It usually involves cheating with the USB
specification.

> I then tried to mount the disk by replacing the hard disk in my laptop with it.
> Cutting out the usb middle man.
> Alas, it still would not mount or be recognized by the system.

Did it have a bootable OS on it?

What do you mean by "not ... recognized by the system"?
Does the BIOS recognize it?

> So I figure I have fried something on the disk.

Perhaps.

> But I was thinking would it be possible to buy a similar hard disk and swap the
> controller board (or what ever you call it) and see if it would mount then?

_Sometimes_. It's premature to do such an experiment.

> Thanks for any advice

First, figure out if you have a hardware problem,
or just undesirable data on the hard drive.

Boot a live CD, such as but not limited to Knoppix,
in a desktop computer (_not_ a laptop),
connect the suspect hard drive
and run the following command for your hard drive,
and post the results.

   smartctl -a /dev/foo | tee log

where foo is sda, sdb ... as appropriate for your hard drive.