Re: [tlug] Is show and hide good enough?

On 18/07/2011 10:12, Martin G wrote:

So my question is sort of a "best practices" question. Is it good
enough just to hide the interface when the user clicks to hide it, or
should I do something else to make the interface more disabled and
inaccessible?

Changes to CSS attributes are usually fine. The alternative is to leave the DOM node empty and pull it in by AJAX in response to some kind of user action, but in that case someone can look at the HTTP request being issued, replicate it and access the data anyway.

Either that or you can bloat your javascript with encoded stuff to throw into a DOM node and the wherewithall to decode it. The question you have to ask yourself is, is it worth the effort? Is the data you're trying to hide supposed to be secret at all? If it's being displayed on a web page then any form of secrecy is sort of out the window anyway.

--
Godwin Stewart --<gstewart@example.com>