Re: [tlug] SUSE wipeout! (Add /home partition in Ubuntu)

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 04:47:53PM +0200, Christian Horn wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:37:47PM +0900, Kenneth Burling wrote:
>> >
>> > I had used Ubuntu for almost two years, because my work has kept me
>> > too busy to really focus on keeping my system up to date properly.  A
>> > few minutes with Unity though was enough to knock some sense into me.
>> > :-) I am back with Arch once more. ^_^
>>
>> Does Ubuntu come with only one windowmanager?
>> On Fedora 15 it's easy to go for xdm and WindowMaker instead of
>> gdm/gnome3.
>>

> I think the canonical (Heh, canonical) way to do it is to use Kubuntu,
> Xubuntu, Lubuntu and so on.
>
> (I could be completely wrong though, not being an Ubuntu user.)

He is right, the "proper" way to do it is to use Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.

However, the bulk of the integration work goes into Ubuntu, and the others
tend to be like second class citizens.  You still end up installing large chunks
of the Ubuntu branch specific things if you want all the pieces to really work
right together.  Kubuntu, Xubunut, etc are only "official" in that they have
Canonical's "blessing" to continue, but they are seen as their own projects.