Re: [tlug] The wrong kanji has returned

Stephen,

Thanks for responding.

1. Switch to Chrome, at least for kanji study. ;-)

I've more or less done this.

However, with a little more testing, I've determined that this error comes up in OpenOffice and other programs too.

It seems to be that the problem is with the default font sets somehow. So, in cases where the font is specifically set to some font that I know works, then it displays correctly. The default font in Chrome is a working one, so it displays correctly.

If I open OpenOffice (or LibreOffice I guess it is now), and just start typing, the default font is all gimped up. But if I then use the font drop down menu to select a nice Japanese font, then it displays correctly.

So, I guess one of the following three is happening:

1. The default Japanese font(s) on my system is corrupted. I've reinstalled fresh, to hopefully correct this possibility. I find this kind of unlikely since it's happening the exact same way on two computers, and if it were corrupted at source, wouldn't more people have this problem?

2. The default font(s) for displaying Japanese are defaulting to some other language font, like Chinese. But this is weird, because most kanji are correct or at least so close to Japanese that it seems weird only certain ones would be different. if it were Chinese or something, wouldn't it be much more different?

3. Maybe it's not the just the font, it's something to do with the relationship with character mapping/encoding? In other words, in the instances when the font is not specified and the default font is in use, somewhere in the chain of software displaying the font, it doesn't know how to handle Japanese and so is selecting the wrong characters...?

I tried to find fonts.conf on my system, and it was there in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, but there was a stern warning not to manually edit it, and in any case it had almost nothing in it (notes about aliasing "sans" to "sans-serif" and that sort of thing). Certainly nothing about Japanese display.

I looked in the Ubuntu Appearance->fonts settings, and unfortunately there don't seem to be any options for setting which fonts should come up for Asian languages or Japanese or anything like that. And in the Adminstration->Language Support settings, there's nothing there about font preferences.

Anything else I can try?

--
Dave M G