Re: [tlug] Browser share in Japan?

Stephen,

Sure, that's useful.  What it isn't, is market share, unless you want
to argue that browser users are in the business of producing accesses,
which websites consume.  (That definition actually doesn't bother me,
but I suspect most of the people you talk to will find it extremely
confusing!)

I don't know if that's how I define it, but maybe something like that.

Maybe I'm slow or missing something, but market share in terms of downloaded copies or install base I can only see as having any kind of meaning if people were buying their browsers. But are there even any non-free browsers in existence anymore?

What could it possibly matter to anyone if a person downloaded and install every browser in existence, from Mosaic to Iceweasel, but never opened them and only ever actually used Chrome? What possible use could the other browsers have to anyone, even the makers of the browsers?

Does a browser really have "market share" if it is downloaded, but doesn't generate revenue, doesn't actually get used, and is never seen by anyone?

If so, then maybe "market share" is a useless and empty concept when talking about browsers.

--
Dave M G