Re: [tlug] Erratic Rsync Behavior: Coping with Multi-Booting Effects on Time-keeping

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:19:30 +0900, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

> Ah!  I, too, am also dual booting Debian/Windows (Vista,
> though).  However, I use Windows as a last resort :-) and
> rarely transfer files between partitions.
>
> Even so, I may end up with your problem some day, so it
> would be good to hear how you solve your problem.

I have done multi booting in a place that has summer and winter
time. Windows has liked to keep the hardware clock in local
time, so twice a year, it changes the hardware clock by an hour.
If one multi boots N such operating systems, then the hardware
clock is advanced by N hours in the spring, and retarded by N
hours in the fall.

My solution was to always have the hardware clock in GMT (UTC)
for all operating systems and keep all the operating systems
from adjusting it seasonally. For Windows, I told it that it was
in Casablanca Morroco, because the clocks there at not changed
seasonally, whereas London suffers from summer time.

Remember the utc option for mounting FAT partitions.