Re: [tlug] Need a Japanese keyboard

Hi Josh,

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 8 April 2011 18:36, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Why would having a different SKU matter in this situation?  Since you
>> were talking about a Japanese keyboard, if you were able to find it
>> locally, then that should be enough?
>
> OK, to explain the Amazon trick to which CL referred, I need to show
> you another tiny trick. Take any Amazon product detail page URI, e.g.

AH!  I see...it was a trick specific to Amazon!  I obviously didn't
know about the trick and thought it was a problem with SKUs.  :-)

The trick will be handy; until now, I copy and paste the book's ISBN,
which also works.  I don't know when it happened to Amazon Japan, but
they have an English option now, as well.

> 1. Find an English book on Amazon.com, e.g. http://amazon.com/dp/0596009178
>
> 2. Change amazon.com to amazon.jp, e.g. http://amazon.jp/dp/0596009178

I don't know much about SKUs, but I often find English books which say
on the first page "not for sale in the USA".  i.e., it's some
international edition.  Apparently, some publishers make the
"international edition" as paperback and the USA edition as hard
cover...  I guess these two would have different SKUs?

If this forces you to reveal any Amazon secrets, then nevermind :-) .

> In this case, it just did not occur to me to search Amazon.co.uk for a
> Japanese keyboard, so sure was I that they wouldn't carry them. But
> not only did they have one, they Super Saver shipped it to me in
> Sweden! Talk about service! ;)

I am a bit surprised the Amazon UK carries it.  I was recently
surprised to find English language software in Amazon Japan, as well.
And it seems you can also order it from Bic Camera (if I remember
correctly).  Times are changing...

> BTW, I worked for Amazon for nearly five years, but do so no longer.
> Neither am I currently a stockholder, so now there's no conflict of
> interest in me praising the 'Zon. :)

Thank you for the explanation; hope that doesn't get you into trouble!  ;-)

Ray