Re: [tlug] Need a Japanese keyboard

Hi Josh,

I'm glad that you were able to find the keyboard at Amazon UK.  This
recent post of your's caught my attention, though:

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 8 April 2011 16:16, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Wasn't it Josh who taught us to go to Amazon.com, find the number for
>> what we wanted, and then order it from Amazon.co.jp to have it delivered
>> locally?  Can't the same thing be done in the opposite direction?
>
> That pretty much only works for media. Electronics and so forth
> usually have different SKUs for different regions.

Why would having a different SKU matter in this situation?  Since you
were talking about a Japanese keyboard, if you were able to find it
locally, then that should be enough?

But even if this was about (say) a printer and the model number
differed in (say) Japan and Sweden -- if most of the model number is
the same, that should be a "good start".  For example, I've purchased
computer peripherals with Japanese model numbers which were similar to
American ones and downloaded the American drivers and utilities (yes,
we are talking about Windows...  :-) ).

I agree it is risky and gives meaning to "buyer beware".  And yes, so
far I've been lucky...  But other than this risk, is your concern
about different SKUs based on something else?  I'm trying to think of
it and can't...but it may be too late for me to think clearly.  :-D

Ray