Re: [tlug] OT: radioactive water

Hi all,

On 03/23/2011 04:44 PM, gbboy wrote:
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Darren Cook<darren@example.com>  wrote:
BBC is saying levels in Tokyo are now at 210, with 100 being the safe
level for infants (of course, unfiltered Tokyo tap water has not been
safe for infants for decades, without needing radioactivity...):
  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12825342

This is perhaps unhelpful for those of you who have replied to this thread already but for others, I just went through the motions of finding out where my water is from and thought I'd share this information; maybe someone can tell me if this seems wrong.

I found an English description on a government web site about how water is supplied in Japan:

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health/water_supply/menu.html

And then on this Japanese Wikipedia page, there is a summary of water purification plants.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%AE%E6%B5%84%E6%B0%B4%E5%A0%B4%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7

I searched for my area and made the big assumption that the plant closest to my home is where my water was from. Copied and pasted the "water supply business" in Japanese into Google and on their first page is usually the test results (I tried a few because I kept getting my city wrong :-) ).

Of course, I can't make too much sense of the numbers (I'm at least assuming increasing numbers are bad...), but I think it is a bit better than assuming that Kanto's water supply is provided by one gigantic river...the values will vary even within Tokyo. No doubt the media will always report the maximum value to us...

Ray