Re: [tlug] Alternatives to sed + awk

2011/3/11 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>
Alexander Danilov writes:

 > Lisp in not a competitor for Tcl not in GUI, not in network programming, not
 > in strong typing domain, may be somewhere else,
 > but not in everyday tasks.

The major Common Lisps all have bindings for many of the major GUI
toolkits, and of course sockets and the like.

Yes, there are a lot of bindings, but I try GUI and network bindings for Common Lisp, and I can tell, that Tcl/Tk is much easy for this kind of tasks. And also for text processing Tcl is easy than CL.

 > Haskell is competitor, but not Lisp.

You've got to be kidding.

:)

 > > In Tcl, however, you have very weak typing.  Everything at Tcl command
 > > level is a string, so that
 > >
 > >       For example, the commands
 > >              set a 3
 > >              set b {$a + 2}
 > >              expr $b*4
 > >       return 11, not a multiple of 4.  This is because the Tcl parser
 > >       will first substitute $a + 2 for the variable b, then the expr
 > >       command will evaluate the _expression_ $a + 2*4.

 > It is not weakness of Tcl, it's just consequence of one of 11 rules of
 > languges.

Now I'm sure you're kidding. ;-)

I like CL, but it's better to use it in big applications.