Re: [tlug] Alternatives to sed + awk

On 03/03/11 13:01, David J Iannucci wrote:
If you are looking for something on the command-line but also
something for the web, then there is Catalyst, which was mentioned
earlier in this thread.  Also, Mason is something I use (but if I had
known about Catalyst, I'd probably would have started off with
Catalyst + Mason). Both are modules / frameworks written in Perl.

To a guy who only wanted a replacement for sed and awk, it's a bit of a
leap to recommend he switch his web development to Catalyst :-) I'm a
Perl fanboi and an experienced developer, and *I'm* intimidated by
Catalyst. I might be less so if my work allowed me the opportunity to
really learn it by doing a project, something that will never happen at
this job, sadly...

:-) Ok, you do have a point! Not just you, but I'm intimidated by Catalyst, too. I even went as far as buying a book, but it didn't really ease me into it. Hence I'm still using Mason.

I have always associated PHP with web development and figured the OP was trying something out on the command line that will be deployed on the web. Of course, I also didn't really know about php5-cli (thanks, Darren!).

Ray