Re: [tlug] Alternatives to sed + awk

On 03/03/11 02:19, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
I am looking for a tool that replaces PHP which is easy to use and and has
easy to remember syntax.

Any recommendations other than Ruby and Python?

Adding a bit to what Josh said about Perl, if I am not mistaken, I think PHP is primarily used for web development?

If you are looking for something on the command-line but also something for the web, then there is Catalyst, which was mentioned earlier in this thread. Also, Mason is something I use (but if I had known about Catalyst, I'd probably would have started off with Catalyst + Mason). Both are modules / frameworks written in Perl.

I know little about Python, but I usually hear that Python is good for rapid prototyping while Perl is good for text processing. Mind you, if your data is simple, then Unix tools such as head, tail, cut, wc, and grep might work for you.

Ray