Re: [tlug] Buying a Linux-compatible Bluetooth headset in Japan

Stefan,

I just bought a Buffalo bluetooth headset last week. It's one of the
tiny one ear deals, and I'm using it with Skype.

Got it at Biku Camera for about 3500 yen, give or take. I bought one
where the package included both the headset and the USB transmitter. You
might not need the transmitter of your machine has built in bluetooth,
which can bring the price down to 2000 yen.

Works fine. Set up in Ubuntu 10.10 was a snap. Point and click, no CLI.
Don't know about Ekiga, but with Skype there are no troubles. Once
you've coupled the device to the machine, then you just go into sound
settings and select it as your sound device. That's all there is to it.

So far as I know, any bluetooth headset these days should fly with
bluetooth, but I can only verify that Ubuntu 10.10 worked for me. I'd
recommend the Buffalo brand, as they seem to dominate in this area
anyway, at least in Japan.

Hope that helps. If you are on Ubuntu and have questions about how to
set it up, let me know.

--
Dave M G