Re: [tlug] Wireless router attached to a wired router

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:34, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> I thought I could just plug an ethernet cable from the open LAN port on
> the main router to the LAN port on the wireless router and be off and
> running. However, now I realize that's not the case.

If the wireless router has a WAN port, I think you'd want to connect
the router LAN to the wireless routers WAN.

> The manual for the wireless router is accessed by going to 192.168.2.1.
> But that doesn't work and I'm guessing because the router is assigning
> it's own IP addresses.

Your router should be assigning the wireless router a ip, probably
192.168.1.<something>, but the wireless router will see that address
as it's WAN ip. It won't allow you to access it's administrative pages
from that ip (at least I hope not), and still should come up with it's
192.168.2.1 address if that's what it's supposed to do.

Can you ping it?  Does the router show that the wireless router picked
up an ip address?

--
Romeo Theriault