Re: [tlug] ADSL or Hikari Fiber

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Lewske Wada <ryu@example.com> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
>> Does anyone have anything to say about NTT-provided hikari fiber?  I
>> had a lot of trouble with NTT between 1984 and 199x (mostly
>> overcharging and extremely rude service people issues), but that was a
>> long time ago.  Should I still have an NTT allergy?
>
> Weren't they a public sector at the time?
> I'm satisfied with the quality of their system, while their support is awful
> in my opinion.

I think the term was "han-min, han-kan"?  One big issue was that they
wouldn't itemize the bill!  My roommate had a guest who called out
into the countryside and the bill just listed all dial charges
together as (I've forgotten the exact term, but I think) "tsuwaryo" -
Y70,000!  And my roommate's friend claimed to be an angle descended
from some land of perfect beings who hadn't done more than make a call
or two.  We called NTT and they refused to give us any information.
Mind you, this isn't even for an international calls, but bloody
*domestic*!!  Since NTT refused to itemize the bill, we compromised
and paid Y35,000 each, and my roommate's demon friend skipped off in
the sunset, claiming that I had made the calls.  Grrrr......

I could write a book on the horrible service and treatment I got from
NTT in my first decade here, but I don't have the time to write it and
you don't have the time to read it.  Still - here's another example:

They charged me something like Y30,000 to install a modular phone jack
when I got a phone in my first apartment, including something like
Y15,000 for the little plastic part itself.  Since they had made me
buy it, I took it with me when I moved.  I installed it myself at my
next place and when they said they would need to zap me for another
Y30,000 to install one there, I said "Not necessary, it's already
installed".  They insisted they know it wasn't there, and while I
evaded the Y15,000 charge for the part (that they had forced me to buy
and then expected me to leave it for the next tenant), they still
charged me around Y15,000 to look at the wall and see that nothing
needed to be done.

Did I mention the Y70,000 I was forced to spend to "buy the line"?

If NTT refunds around Y200,000 to me and apologizes for past outrages,
maybe I'll become an NTT fan - until then, the name "NTT" still makes
the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Lyle