Re: [tlug] The wrong kanji

Hello David

On 12/07/2010, you wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:12 -1000, "Bart Mathias" <mathias@example.com>
> wrote:
>> > The problem is that your system is displaying some text using
>> > Chinese fonts.  From previous posts, I gather that you are running
>> > Ubuntu, in which the easiest way to solve the issue is to simply
>> > remove the Chinese fonts:
>>
>> Should I be embarrassed? I taught Japanese for 30 years (Inidiana
>> University, University of Hawaii) and it never occurred to me that one
>> of those styles was Chinese, and maybe I should point out the
>> difference to my students.
>
> I wouldn't blame myself right away :-)  Somehow I'm left with a nagging
> feeling of not being convinced of this.  The typeface shown in OP's
> screenshot looks like a Japanese face to me, not a Chinese face.  And
> AFAIK the variant with the more traditional "simseu-hen" radical is
> considered a Japanese kanji, although it might not be Jouyou.... no?  I
> have a fairly strong feeling I have seen that more traditional variant
> used in Japan.

I have an old _pasokon wa-puro kanji jiten_ that uses the handwriting-style
shimesuhen for all "daiichi suijun" kanji, including all jouyoukanji
(except when there is something above the shimesu), and the printed style
ones for "daini suijun."

Analogous distinctions are made for hane (daiichi suijun has the 2nd and
3rd, 5th and 6th strokes looking like katakana "n" while daini suijun uses
parallel strokes going toward the lower left), shinnyuu (one dot for
daiichi, two dots for daini), mugi (daiichi, three horizotal lines; daini,
one line with two "hito" hanging from it), and ha (tooth--kome inside for
daiichi and two hito above and two below a horizontal line).