Re: [tlug] Dinky silent Linux box

Hi Jon,

I know this will distract a bit from your point (low-power), but with
the proper heat-sink and an appropriately-chosen power supply, you can
turn anything into a silent box.

I have a dual core Intel box at home that I use as my main Ubuntu box.
 It was the first computer I built in 5 years; I took advantage of the
ubiquitous availability of heatsinks and bought one of absurd size.

There is an internal fan, but it is never used (unless the processor
stays at 100% for an extended period of time).  The temperature rarely
goes above 40 degrees C and never above 52 C (even at 100% for
multiple hours).

In short, you don't necessarily have to use an atom chipset or an odd
motherboard if you don't want to.

- J