Re: [tlug] [OT] Pre-paid SIMs with data?

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Pier Fumagalli <pier@example.com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 05:08, Paul McMahon <paul@example.com> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2010, at 4:45 PM, Josh Glover wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to buy a pre-paid SIM that includes data?
>
> B-Mobile has prepaid SIMs, but apparently it is only available to Japanese residents:
> http://softbanksucks.blogspot.com/2010/07/b-mobile-talkingsim-both-voice-and-data.html

I bought two SIMs from them, and they never asked me for any kind of
proof of residency or whatever. They just need an address (in Japan)
where the SIM needs to be shipped to.

Works beautifully (albeit not full 3G speed) and it's cheap. I highly
recommend them!

   Pier

However if you are going to use it on Android you have some issues to think about.
One is the data rate, which unless that SIM card has a 'packet hodai' deal, you're looking
at a 40000+yen bill easily.
That price is with a japanese android phone. If you want to use your own, since it's not
one of 'their' 'smartphones' then they will count it as using your SIM on a computer and
charge you that rate, which is almost double.
Not sure how these renting companies do it... but be careful about this.