Re: [tlug] Commonly Unusable Printjob Sinkhole

Shawn Brown writes:

 > Wish I did.  I abandoned linux at home and went to apple over this
 > issue.  Other users here have zero or less tolerance for printing
 > issues.  Maybe apple designed cups that way intentionally ;^)

No, I think this is just another piece of independent Microsoft envy.
Except perhaps the original ESP people may have wanted to avoid Linux
and BSD support, because nobody, not even Microsoft, can afford
first-line tech support that knows as much as the average Linux
user. :-(

But then again, I guess that's what we're in TLUG for.  Yay, TLUG!

Apple?  They can adopt CUPS because it does do a good job of working
with pretty much any printer when it works at all (printers being
something that Apple never tried to monopolize---they went Postscript
from Super Sunday 1984---they need something that works with your
AnyPrinter), and they can afford to throw a couple hundred programmer
hours at solving any OS-side problems.  The problem for the rest of us
is, as they say, "and when CUPS breaks, we get to keep both pieces."