[tlug] Commonly Unusable Printjob Sinkhole

Does anybody have pointers to *useful* documentation for CUPS?

The general problem I'm experiencing seems to be in the "udev vs. CUPS
1.4" class.

I've "solved" it by upgrading to a working version (i.e., CUPS < 1.4)
in the past, but I'm tired of this, and want get CUPS working so that
I don't have to mess with the package system.

What I've been able to find by Googling is all magical fidgeting (eg,
reenable the deprecated FileDevice connection type, but this has
stopped working for me).  Nobody seems to be able to explain what it
is that CUPS expects and how to get udev to deliver it, though.  I'm
tempted to go back to lprNG, but all the distros seem to use CUPS;
I have to wonder how well lprNG is supported nowadays.