Re: [tlug] Network performance

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 12:07:17AM +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
> I am using it for many years for home and work and plan to used for
> many more. Actually, the server you used for speed testing (AKA
> rsync1.jp.gentoo.org) used to run off my network; his sysadmin makes
> everything needed to ensure it stays fast and free.

kudos to GG!

> I just tried the same iso and got 7.11M/s final, which is good, I've
> seen 9-10M/s. That said we both use Asahi-net on fiber, so the link is
> quite fast between us.

I'm not on Asahi-net and I get the same speed rates on all machines in
my network.

> I will put my bet on something strange in your kernel, so the best you
> can do is find a way to boot from a CD or USB and test it.
> I'd suggest SysRescueCD as it is Gentoo-based: http://www.sysresccd.org/
>
> You mentioned not being able to boot CDs since the switch to grub-2...
> Well, to boot from CD you need to configure your BIOS, it is before it
> tries to boot off your HDD (where grub is). BTW, I also use grub-2 on
> a couple of Gentoo boxen, but it is irrelevant to the CD booting.

most of the live CDs use syslinux as the boot loader so it shouldn't
really be a problem.
Anyway, I'd also point to something odd in the kernel configuration,
trying a live distro of any sort and checking the differences on the
kernel config (assuming those have better download speeds than your
current config) could be a good starting point.

--
mattia
:wq!