Re: [tlug] linux notebooks, virtualization, windows

> Not just the low-end
> http://www.dospara.co.jp/5goods_pc/pc_bto.php?h=d&f=d&m=pc&mc=1403&sn=42&vn=1&lf=0
>
> Or is that low-end for you?

:-) It is either that or the 17" model I'm looking at; possibly the
upgrade to the 840QM. (The 17" model is the one that comes with the
eSATA socket, and as I'm considering this as my main workstation, being
able to do raid is an attraction; but then it doesn't offer the 4-core CPU.)

...just noticed the Dell Studio 17 top-end model [1] offers 2x500GB HD;
I wonder if I can turn 400GB of each of those into software RAID, and
still leave windows on there, as dual boot (Looks like I'll have to give
up on the virtualized windows dream).

> I'm not exactly sure about a quad core i7 for a note book.

Yes, 2 cores running at 2.66GHz, compared to 4 cores running at 1.73Ghz
is only a slight difference, but probably worth it to me. I'm wondering
if these notebook's can be overclocked, but I guess heat is more of an
issue than in a desktop. Maybe only in winter :-)

Darren

[1]:
http://configure.apj.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=3087zm&c=jp&l=ja&s=dhs&cs=jpdhs1
With the 48,825 yen discount this is just about in range for me.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)