[tlug] linux notebooks, virtualization, windows

A couple of related questions. First any recommendations for notebooks
that come without an OS? I so far know of Dospara, where the customize
mode allows you to choose this. E.g. [1] looks rather good to me. (see
also [2]).

Second, if I get a notebook with windows 7 pre-installed, is it possible
to create this setup:
 Linux virtualization (xen, or something similar) with these guest OSes:
   * Ubuntu
   * Windows 7

I'm concerned that Windows gets tied to the initial hardware and I won't
be able to slip the virtualization layer in there without making Windows
self-destruct.

Ah, one more question. I see one of the dospara notebook models comes
with an eSATA socket. Is using that for software RAID 1 realistic [3]?
And if so, can I set that up in the virtualization hypervisor OS, so it
is transparent to the guest OSes?

Darren

[1]:
http://www.dospara.co.jp/5goods_pc/pc_detail.php?h=g&f=g&m=g&mc=1403&map=8

[2]: Their low-end models are also OS-optional:
http://www.dospara.co.jp/5goods_pc/pc_bto.php?h=d&f=d&m=pc&mc=1413&sn=42&vn=1&lf=0

[3]: I believe I could run without the extra disk if I wanted to travel
light, then when I got home the external disk would automatically sync
itself in the background. That would be very cool, as this would be a
mainly in-the-office machine.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)