Re: [tlug] linux notebooks, virtualization, windows

On 08/02/2010 06:39 PM, Darren Cook wrote:
> ... First any recommendations for notebooks
> that come without an OS? ...

I have been very happy with my T61.

> Second, if I get a notebook with windows 7 pre-installed, is it possible
> to create this setup:
>  Linux virtualization (xen, or something similar) with these guest OSes:
>    * Ubuntu
>    * Windows 7
>
> I'm concerned that Windows gets tied to the initial hardware and I won't
> be able to slip the virtualization layer in there without making Windows
> self-destruct.

Unless it comes with a full version with install CD you probably won't
be able to run it in xen, and even then, it might have a specially
butchered version that checks for specific hardware that isn't found in
your virtual environment.

> Ah, one more question. I see one of the dospara notebook models comes
> with an eSATA socket. Is using that for software RAID 1 realistic [3]?
> And if so, can I set that up in the virtualization hypervisor OS, so it
> is transparent to the guest OSes?

eSATA is the same as internal SATA[1], you just need drivers for the
SATA chipset.  I am currently using a two 1T drive eSATA raid1 setup for
laptop back.   Just make sure you never have to sync the raid1 because
it takes forever ;)

Edward

1. accept the cables fall out more often ;)