Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Martin Killmann <martin@example.com> wrote:
> The reason they don't use it on the morning program is probably a
> mixture of "we've always done it that way", "grandma Watanabe likes it"
> and "it's cheaper".
>
> Martin

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. It's the typical
corporate mentality that
focuses only on expenses, never looking to a competitive advantage to improve
profits. An anecdote: I was watching a Russian sports channel
broadcast of one of
the IHF Hockey Championship games last month and was blown away by the high
production value. It wouldn't have looked out of place as an ESPN broadcast.

Now,Russia is not typically looked at as a technology leader outside
of a few key
industries, unlike Japan which still has a reputation as a technology
leader, but in
this regard Japan is just so far behind. It leads me to believe that
the leaders in the
television industry here must have some kind of tacit agreement not to overspend
on production or something. Otherwise you'd see one channel actually put some
effort into their broadcasts and blow everyone else away.

Even when they use the bluescreens and digital effects it nearly always ends up
looking like something done by a 2nd year design student unless it's an NHK
production partnered up with BBC or Discovery.

-Mike