Re: [tlug] Android Bazaar and Conference 2010 Spring

On 06/08/10 22:01, Darren Cook wrote:
Yes.  Availability of the Desire in Japan is just terrible.  There's way
more demand than supply.

If you don't care much about Sense UI, get a NexusOne while they are
still selling it online. It's practically the same phone and works with
most Japanese carriers. That is unless you have already ordered a
Desire, of course.

But, if I've understood correctly, by buying it through Softbank I
basically get the phone for free; it will be paid in monthly
installments (over 2 years) out of the discount you get from a certain
level of packet charges (*). Or something like that. (It only costs real
money if you cancel within 2 years.)

Right. The thing is they want you to pay the full price of the phone if cancel at any point (61,920). If you use it for 2 years, you will only pay 9,120 for the phone. In exchange, you agree to pay 4410 per month for pakehodai flat for 2 years, so they get nice predictable cash flow :)

You get a really cool phone with no upfront payment, but considering that new, nicer phones will be out in less than a year, the lock-in may not be what you want. In that case getting a no-contract phone may be preferable.

If I've got that wrong I'd love a nice clear explanation. They always
explain it to me in the Softbank shop and draw a nice "0 yen" at the
bottom, but I always worry I'm missing something.

If you read Japanese, someone already did the math:

http://komugi.net/archives/2010/04/19155842.php

If sign up for pakehodai, you get 2200 discount per month, so you end up paying 380 per month for the phone. If you use it for the whole 24 months, you will eventually pay SoftBank 116,815.