Re: [tlug] low power home server

On 05/11/2010 11:23 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
You have theory and practice backward here.  In practice, nothing is
perfect.

Simple is more secure.
Here Here I agree 100%
I gather you haven't read the "route via telepathy" anecdote in
Bellovin and Cheswick.  Anyway, this is a bad idea, because there's
really only one OS per box, in this case the virtualization host OS.
The guest OSes are just very demanding applications, and because they
are so demanding, I would consider this setup extremely fragile from a
security standpoint.
Not really from a security stand point, the OS's you use will only be as secure as you configure them to be. But more realistically from a reliability stand point.

A failed power supply had my home network down for 2 days. It is a home network so real harm done, but as a Sys Admin it is pretty much unacceptable. I actually got out the POS NTT router so I could get on the internet w/laptop or my MAC.

As far as demand goes I would disagree, but of course that would be subject to usage. Running 3-4 domUs that I access remotely via ssh, ftp, http, ect. that all have different roles, I rarely run out of processing power and disc space, memory however is a different. I would suggest at least 4gigs that way you can give each host 500-700 MBs, depending on the role and still have 1 gig or so for your Dom0.

E./