Re: [tlug] low power home server

On 05/09/2010 05:38 PM, Edward Middleton wrote:
On 05/09/2010 03:21 PM, Janos Gyerik wrote:
Looks great, though the price for a 1TB mirror-raid configuration is 412
+ 15 euro, which is 5-man-en; I don't think even Spain and Portugal
going bankrupt will be enough to get it for 3-man-en ;-)
I would use the disks from my existing setup, so I'm thinking of
getting just the cheapest unit for 236 + 15.
My current gateway server cost me 3,000 yen for the machine which was a
junk Pentium  4 Netvista, 4,000 yen 2G memory and 20,000 yen for two 1T
HDD.  I use software raid1.

A friend of mine built this:
http://lundman.net/wiki/index.php/ZFS_RAID
A home RAID using Open Solaris ZFS and a SuperMicro 8 port SATA card. The key is in the card, cause it supports hot swapping of hard drives w/ZFS.

E./