Re: [tlug] Empty databases after moving MySQL data files [SOLVED] + new question

> However, I do have a question about MySQL data files.
>
> Are the data files specific to one server or computer in any way?
>
> To put it another way, can I take everything out of the /var/lib/mysql
> directory from one machine, and put it on another, and have all my
> databases and tables working, at least in theory?

I believe the answer is yes; they are dependent on the mysql version,
but if you have the same version on both machines then they can be moved
around.

Dumping to SQL is portable between mysql versions, so is the better
solution for future-proof backups.

Darren