Re: [tlug] Home printer suggestions

Hello Nick,

Let me just add my 2 cents to this. Actually, I just bought a new
printer/scanner/copy this week.

My requirements were a bit different (wanted good quality photos) and
after examining the output samples of the many 4-ink-models in
BicCamra and compared them to the 6-ink-models I bought Epson EP-802A.

I brought it back home, turned it on, put a CF card and printed a
picture on a Epson Photo Paper in A4. I was impressed with the
quality! And this was without even connecting to a PC.

Since this thread started, I decided to get it working ASAP under
Gentoo. It turned out that there is no official support (i.e. ebuild),
but in the bugzilla there was some ebuild which I modified (and am
about to resubmit) for PIPSLite, the GPL-2 version of the Epson/AVASYS
drivers. Once I figured out that I haven't compiled USB printer
support in kernel, everything went well. With a few more tweaks I set
it up as network printer (via CUPS/PIPSLite). Quality is OK, although
seems it limited to 360dpi, but I'll have to investigate that.

So I can say  EP-802A works-for-me!

Regards,
Kalin.