Re: [tlug] OT Thread Hijacking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:55:36 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Gmail doesn't thread.  It has "conversations".  I'm not sure what the
> semantics of "conversation" is, precisely, but it's clearly not quite
> the same as threading, although in many cases you wouldn't be able to
> tell the difference.

GMail relies entirely on the Subject: header (modulo the usual add-ons like
Re: and Fw:) to group messages together in conversations, and on the
timestamp in order to order them.

As you pointed out, that is *not* threading. It is merely "grouping" by
subject, and GMail have resorted to Microsoft's tactics of renaming
something that's been around for years and touting it as an innovation.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.