[tlug] OT Thread Hijacking

Is it possible to hijack a thread without realizing it?

I as this, because I have seen MANY instances on a number of lists
(I am not pointing fingers, because I really have seen it several times
lately, in several places), where a person is accused of hijacking a thread,
but my email viewer (in this case Gmail) has that message as the front of its
own thread.

In all of these cases, I have seen no visible sign that I could tell of it being
any thread other than the one that person started, yet someone will comment
within a few posts that they had hijacked someone else's thread.

Again, I am not masking words here, I am getting straight to the point.  This
could just be something that Gmail hides from me.

One question.  If a person hits reply to an email, and then changes
the subject completely
and changes the body of the message completely (empties it and starts
over) is there
any reason that an email client should put that message into anything
other than a
new thread?

I am no email client expert, so I could easily be missing something. :)

---
Ken